Background

Saturday, January 14, 2012

First Week Back

I'm finished with our first week back to school. It was tough, not subject matter-wise, but motivationally. Just to give you an idea, I pushed the snooze button on the SECOND DAY of classes. Usually it takes me at least until the second MONTH before I hit snooze.

This semester I still have Walthall for Contracts, Royal for Civ Pro, and Baggett for LLR so those classes were the same. The only two new classes I have are Evidence with Goodwin (who is the new associate dean), and Property with Greene.

Walthall's first day of class was like any other day of class. There was no "cushion" day to get used to anything because we've already had him for a full semester, so we dove right in to express and implied warranties. Bleh. I love Walthall, but I can't say Contracts is my favorite class. We also got our exams back with comments on them which was helpful. I made SURE on this exam to go through EVERY possible issue that could come up in a Contract because I didn't in the last test and didn't do so well because of that. Well, just my luck, he decides that for the final he doesn't want us to do that and leaves me a comment (at least twice) on my exam saying

"This obviously isn't the issue. Don't waste your time or mine." (The second time the "or mine" was underlined)

Ouch. I knew the offer hadn't terminated, I knew that really wasn't the issue, and I wrote MAYBE two sentences about it in my answer JUST to make sure he couldn't say anything about me not addressing whether or not the offer had terminated. Well, that obviously backfired, but hopefully he didn't take OFF points for including too much information and I just got a rather unfriendly comment. And I get it, he has about 50 exams to grade JUST from our class, not to mention all the other exams he has from his other classes, and the tests are anonymous, but that's still not a fun comment to get on an exam.

We got an email sometime last week telling us that Royal is moving to Atlanta at the end of the semester because her husband got a teaching job at the medical school there. They're both SUPER intelligent people, and she's a very sweet woman, it will be sad to see her leave. Her class was pretty much the same as last semester. The only thing is that for the first few readings there was nothing in my supplement to supplement our book so I had to rely on just me. I think I did ok, and I'm determined to try to participate in class more this semester so I can get more credit for participation.

I think I like Goodwin (I'm not really sure, we've only had two classes with him), but I'm not sure how I feel about evidence. I've also heard that he wrote the big treatise on Evidence and that last year during his final two people had breakdowns in the middle of it. Talk about intimidation. It's the only class we have that we DON'T brief cases in, instead we do problems. That just means that our book doesn't have cases in it that we have to get up an recite, instead it has a lot of different problems concerning the rules of evidence that we have to answer in class. It doesn't seem so bad, but when you're the first person called on to answer one of these ridiculous hypotheticals that would never happen in real life, it's pretty miserable. So, not only was this class new and weird to us because it's formatted COMPLETELY differently from the rest of our classes, but I get called on to answer the first question. To be honest, I didn't read the rule as well as I probably should have, but he was also REALLY critical of EVERYTHING I said.

I know, I know, he's supposed to be, that's his job- but it would've been helpful if he had explained the rules to us before he asked me to. Anyway, I felt like a complete idiot when he told me that I was going to argue AGAINST HIM as to why my testimonial evidence should be allowed. Like I said, I could've read the rules better, but I'm still convinced that if I had known them inside and out he still would've made me feel like an idiot. At one point I made an argument (that actually turned out be correct) and his response was, "So?" It wasn't fun, and after class there were a lot of people talking about how much they were dreading getting called on in that class. But at least I got it out of the way early.

I can tell I'm really not going to care one way or the other about the subject of Property, but I like Professor Greene. He likes to tell stories and doesn't really ask for anyone to brief cases, he really just talks a whole lot, which is fine with me. I did make the mistake of raising my hand to a rhetorical question and now he's singled me out a few times. He was talking about having a "constructive Monday" which in the world of Cumberland means you have Monday classes on whatever day they decide to call a "constructive Monday" instead of whatever classes you were supposed to have. Why they don't just say "Monday classes this day", I don't know. Constructive Monday sounds really stupid and confusing to me. Anyway, so this is what happened:

Greene: "Do we have any Philosophy majors here..."

I raise my hand

Greene: "... that can explain what that means."

Well shoot, he wasn't actually asking for Philosophy majors, he was making a joke. But since I jumped the gun and raised my hand in the middle of the statement he looks at me and asks me if I know. I say I have no idea and he says, something to the extent that he's a PHL major too and has no idea. Then he makes a joke that only I get ("I can tell you how many angles can dance on the head of a pin, but not what a constructive Monday is") and refers to me as his PHL major for the rest of the week. Go me.

I promised I would post my favorite winter break recipes, so I'm going to do that next! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment