Background

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Job Hunting

Well, second semester is off and running. We got our ranks back, and I am VERY proud of myself- I'm 16/148 which is in the 11%. Yay me!

Grace and I signed up for the Williams Trial Competition, and we get to pick up our problems tomorrow at 3.

Job searches have begun. The way on campus interviews (OCIs) work at Cumberland is a little confusing. You upload everything (resume, cover letters, unofficial transcript, writing sample) to a website called Simplicity. Then you "bid" on certain employers. This is pretty much just requesting an interview with them. Once you've bid on an employer then you wait to hear back as to whether or not they want to interview you. There are I think 6 different interview weeks, and the first one starts relatively soon. I've bid on 10 employers for this round, and I think I get to find out who wants an interview with me on the 31st. Some of these jobs pay $1,100 a week- which is AWESOME for a summer associate since most places would take you on as an intern and have you work for free.

I have an interview tomorrow with Connie Stockham that I'm very excited about. I met her through Dr. Pence and the Ethics Bowl and one of her practice areas is actually Bioethics, so it would be wonderful if I could get a job with her and her firm.

While having all these potential interviews is wonderful, it's also a hassle for one main reason- suits. I have up to 10 interviews coming up and I have 2 suits. Just 2. That means I have to go shopping for suits, and guess who doesn't want to do that!? Me!

Kiyoshi had his interview with a volunteer company today that he said went pretty well and he'll hear back from them by Wednesday I believe. He's also turned in applications for a few other jobs that hopefully he'll get interviews for.

Tonight I'm going to a dinner hosted by one of the firms coming for OCIs that was only sent out to a select number of students. Initially I thought it went out to all the 1Ls and was thinking about not going, but once I realized it was only for some of us, I was REALLY glad I decided to RSVP (I had decided I needed to start networking in Birmingham).

In other news, it's raining inside the apartment. There's a leak at my bedroom window and at our big bay window in the common area. It's not very fun. The contractors finally came by today to look at it, but unfortunately it also decided to rain torrentially today. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

Now I need to go get ready for this dinner! I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment